United Way’s free tax preparation program helps Quad Citizens keep more of their hard-earned money
United Way Quad Cities is now accepting appointments for its volunteer tax preparation services. Individuals and families who, in the past year, earned up to $60,000 are encouraged to schedule an appointment.
Appointments are limited and are expected to fill quickly. Walk-in services are available at The Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center in Rock Island.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) programs, led by United Way and AARP, help thousands of local individuals and families prepare their income taxes free of charge. The service will be provided from Feb. 1 to April 12 at various locations around the Quad Cities.
“Due to the rising costs of food, housing, medicine and other basic needs, many are facing uncertainty and are struggling,” said Rene Gellerman, United Way president and CEO. “This free tax prep program helps provide hundreds of individuals and families with the boost they need to help strengthen their financial stability and provide some much-needed support in a year marred with inflation.”
What to know before you go
In the past three years, VITA and AARP have helped return about $12 million to families and individual filers in the area.
“Last year alone, our IRS-certified volunteers, including students at Augustana, St. Ambrose University and Western Illinois University, helped provide free basic tax preparation to 2,825 families and individuals through the United Way and AARP programs. With the help from our volunteers and partners, these programs help our neighbors with disabilities and those limited English-speaking taxpayers.” Gellerman said.
Locations include the following:
In-Person Tax Filing (appointments required, click here to schedule online):
- Ascentra Credit Union, 2019 Grant St., Downtown Bettendorf
- Friendly House, 1221 N. Myrtle St., Davenport
- Davenport Public Library – Eastern Branch, 6000 Eastern Ave., Davenport
- WIU – Quad Cities Campus, 3300 River Drive, Moline
- Moline Public Library, 3210 41st St., Moline
- East Moline Public Library, 745 16th Ave., East Moline
- Rock Island Senior Center, 2221 11th St., Rock Island
- Rock Island Township, 2827 7th Ave., Rock Island
Walk-in Tax Filing (during select hours):
- The Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 630 Martin Luther King Drive, Rock Island
Click here for more information about VITA and location hours, eligibility requirements and what documents are needed for a tax preparation appointment.