overcome educational barriers
By helping children effectively enter and perform well in school, graduating ready for college or career.
Examples: summer learning and afterschool programs, quality preschool and early learning opportunities, and support for at-risk youth
In FY19, United Way is investing $2.4 million in education in the Quad Cities.
In the Quad Cities, 14% of children are not ready for kindergarten. And, third grade is an important indicator of success for students. Yet, in the Quad Cities, 32% of third graders are not reading at grade level. These are indicators that led to United Way’s work in education.
It takes a collaboration of many partner organizations to successfully implement our work in education.
- Bethany for Children and Families
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Mississippi Valley
- Child Abuse Council
- Community Action of Eastern Iowa
- Davenport Community School District
- East Moline School District #37
- Eastern Iowa Community College
- Family Resources
- GiGi's Playhouse
- Iowa Jobs for America's Graduates (iJAG)
- Rock Island/Milan School District #41
- SAL Family & Community Services
- Safer Foundation
- Transitions Mental Health Services
- Two Rivers YMCA
- United Township High School District #30
- YWCA of the Quad Cities