Education – The Foundation
We know that education is critical to an individual’s ability to lead his/her best life. We believe every child deserves to start kindergarten ready to learn, succeed in school and graduate high school ready for their next step.
Did you know?
- When a child enters kindergarten ready to learn, they are twice as likely to be able to read in third grade, which is one of the biggest indicators showing whether someone will graduate high school.
- An individual that finishes high school will contribute $750,000 more into the local economy in their lifetime than someone who drops out of school.
What we do:
- Give more than $2.1 million to help local children and youth learn.
- Gather more than 1,200 volunteers help improve children’s lives.
- Advocate for our youth by convening cross-sector community partners to implement best practices, data informed strategies that fill gaps and provide a range of support for children and youth – resulting in students graduating high school ready for a career or college.
Why we focus on education:
- In the Quad Cities, 14 percent of children are not ready for kindergarten.
- Third grade is an important indicator of success for students. Yet, in the Quad Cities, 32 percent of third graders are not reading at grade level.
Our programs include:
- Born Learning
- Challenge 5
- Quad Cities Educational Data Exchange
- Quad Cities Tutor Connection - NEW!
- Read to Lead
Christina significantly improved her reading and math skills in the after school program. Watch a video with Christina's story.