overcome educational barriers
By helping children effectively enter and perform well in school, graduating ready for college or career.
Examples: summer learning and afterschool programs, quality preschool and early learning opportunities, and support for at-risk youth
In FY19, United Way is investing $2.4 million in education in the Quad Cities.
In the Quad Cities, 14% of children are not ready for kindergarten. And, third grade is an important indicator of success for students. Yet, in the Quad Cities, 32% of third graders are not reading at grade level. These are indicators that led to United Way’s work in education.
Christina significantly improved her reading and math skills in the after school program. Watch a video with Christina's story.
It takes a collaboration of many partner organizations to successfully implement our work in education.
- Bethany for Children and Families
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Mississippi Valley
- Child Abuse Council
- Community Action of Eastern Iowa
- Davenport Community School District
- East Moline School District #37
- Eastern Iowa Community College
- Family Resources
- GiGi's Playhouse
- Iowa Jobs for America's Graduates (iJAG)
- Rock Island/Milan School District #41
- SAL Family & Community Services
- Safer Foundation
- Transitions Mental Health Services
- Two Rivers YMCA
- United Township High School District #30
- YWCA of the Quad Cities