Ignite the power of women to create real, lasting change for our community.
We recruit women leaders who contribute their personal passions, best ideas, and unique strengths. We invite you to join a network of tireless champions dedicated to creating a stronger community.
Every Child Ready to Succeed in Kindergarten
Women United launched Born Learning, an initiative focused on the fact that a child’s first, best teacher is a parent.
Between birth and age five, the brain is extremely responsive to experience. Research has proven that a child’s brain is nearly fully developed by age five. That gives parents 5 short years to prepare their child for kindergarten.
- Low-income children hear as many as 30 million fewer words than their more affluent peers.
- As early as age 3, a child’s vocabulary can predict third grade reading achievement.
- By age 5, a typical middle-class child recognizes 22 letters of the alphabet, compared to 9 for a child from a low-income family.
- Born Learning Academies – Workshops to provide families with practical ideas on how to turn everyday activities into teaching moments focused on: building relationships, developing children’s language skills, nutrition and health, how children learn, and routines and learning on the go.
- Born Learning Trails – Fun, physical learning activities that allow parents to play with young children in an outdoor setting, featuring nine activities to promote early learning.
- Hygiene Kits – Shampoo, toothpaste, soap, diapers, etc. given to children and families to ensure their basic needs are met.
- Born Learning Text Campaign – Texts sent to parents with fun and educational things to do with their child. To sign up text BORNLEARNING to 95577.
- Born Learning Calendar – A yearly printed calendar providing daily ideas to make everyday moments teaching moments.
- Born Learning Awareness – Promoting the best ways to ensure children are ready for kindergarten.
host a hygiene drive
Women United conducts drives to collect hygiene items for families struggling to meet their basic needs. It's easy to host a hygiene drive for your group or company. Contact Amy Barnett at 563.344.0328 to get started. Here are the items needed:
- Diapers and pull-ups
- Baby wipes
- Baby shampoo and baby wash
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Body wash and bar soap
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, and dental floss
- Combs and hairbrushes
- Tampons and feminine napkins
Sign up to host a hygiene drive here.
Our goal is to raise $2.2 million for the first five years of the Born Learning initiative.
Questions? Contact Jen von Kaenel or call 563.344.0340.